In response to the frequently asked question “hey, Alice, when do we get to read your book?” here is a list of genuine reasons why I haven’t and why I’m not sorry for it.
- My manuscript (at time of writing) is c. 70,000 words and nearing 200 pages. That’s a lot, but I want to make it up to the 80,000 mark. My History dissertation back (in 2014) was 10,000 words and took a year of solid research and writing (with no distractions). Go figure.
- I realised three weeks ago at least half of it needed rewriting.
- I’ve spent about six weeks working on the opening extract (first 5000 words).
- I have a full-time job which I have continued to do throughout pandemic.
- Up until mid August, I had only take one day off of my allocated annual leave. One day, in all of 2020.
- I have to do human things; shop for food, eat, sleep, poop etc.
- Shoot me, I get writers’ block/creative fatigue.
- Covid-19. Just Covid-19.
- I commute frequently from family home to the actual home I pay a mortgage on. A 1.5 hour car journey will just about sap up any energy you got.
- Some days I really can’t be bothered to write.
- Some days I really write a load of rubbish.
- Believe it or not, I do other creative exploits. All writers need the satisfaction of quick-win completion, which is why I’ve also been writing more short stories. I can’t post these on the blog, because then I’d be unable to make money from them at a later date and/or submit for competitions. A ‘short story’ for me is 2000 words. Nine pages (double-spaced).
- I blog.
- I self-promote. See TV/Radio Appearances for a flavour of how much!
- I’m busy building up a social media following. Half the battle with any published book is having an author that people love and can market.
- Is there a chance this will NEVER be published? Yes.
- I therefore need an agent. And to submit to an agent means you have to have your manuscript at the absolute top of it’s game.
- (Mumma B suggestion) – ‘why don’t you just say “the dog ate my manuscript”?’
- And as for the publishing industry in general? Please see video below. Spoilers, it’s infamous for being a slow.
Pinky promise to keep you posted on progressed. It still means a lot that I have a massive fan base that are chomping at the bit to pre-order something I haven’t even completed yet!
Much love xx
This isn’t a sponsored post. Support an unpaid writer like me by donating to my funding page: Buy Me A Coffee